Please arrive approximately ten minutes prior to the start of class to sign in, get in the yoga room, and settled on your mat. We have mats to rent, towels to buy, and cubbies to store your belongings.
Shoes and phones are not allowed in the yoga room, but your smiles and willingness to learn are more than welcome! When you’re at THE YOGA COLLECTIVE be prepared to get present in your body and with those around you. Especially as seasons change, please make sure to keep your mat clean, towels washed, and remain mindful of the various smells you may bring into the space — personal body odor, perfumes, colognes, etc.
Be sure to wipe down the area around your mat. It helps ensure that you and all of your yogi friends stay safe and comfortable in class. Savasana is important. Please stay for this pose; it helps decrease your stress levels from day-to-day and relaxes the body. If you cannot stay for the entirety of class, please let the instructor know beforehand so they can help you leave quietly.
HOT YOGA FAQ
Remember to drink plenty of water during the day before a Bikram Yoga session. Bring a mat, towel and water or buy / rent these items at the studio. BE PREPARED TO SWEAT!
What is Happening to My Body?
● Muscles contracted and stretched on a cellular, biochemical level.
● Lipids and proteins reorganized optimally in stretching, allowing for better circulation.
● Nerves stimulated by compression & extension, supplying fresh blood, oxygen and nutrients to the body.
● Wastes pumped out.
● Blood and calcium brought to the bones.
● Bones strengthened with additional weight and stress on them.
● Brain stimulated by improved circulation and by varying blood pressure.
● Improved communication to nervous system.
● Lymph nodes massaged.
● Lymph pumped into body, helping lymphatic system work more efficiently.
● White blood cells sent out to body.
● Organs of immune system boosted (red marrow in bone).
● Thymus, spleen, appendix and intestines compressed and extended.
● Lungs stretched, flushed out by increased blood circulation.
● Toxins flushed out and waste excreted.
● Endocrine glands encouraged to secrete appropriate hormones.
● Communication of hormones among various glands and systems of body perfected. ● Fat eliminated and tissue reorganized into most efficient state.
● Joints greased and range of motion increased.
● Strength built by use of gravity.
● Muscles, joints and energies of the body balanced.
How Does Yoga Work?
By a tourniquet effect, stretching, balancing (using gravity) and creating pressure in the body all at the same time. The blood supply in arteries and veins is being cut off, creating pressure. When released, a locked gate effect is created, causing blood to rush through the veins and arteries and flushing them out. Also, pressure is applied to the heart by its relative position to the rest of the body.
Why Does the Room Have to Be So Hot?
● Keeps body from overheating (contrary to popular belief).
● Protects muscles to allow for deeper stretching
● Detoxifies the body (opens pores to let toxins out).
● Thins blood to clear circulatory system.
● Melts fat by reorganizing lipids in muscular structure.
● Increases heart rate for better cardiovascular workout.
● Improves strength by keeping muscle tissue in optimal state for reorganization.
● Prohibits cholesterol from sticking to protein. How Do I Prepare For Class? We practice in a heated room in order to warm up the muscles and prevent injury. Be prepared to sweat.
● New students arrive at least 15 minutes early.
● Be on time.
● Women wear leotards, bathing suit or shorts and sport top.
● Men wear a bathing suit or shorts.
● Bring a towel, a mat and water. Towels and mats are available for rent.
● Please come hydrated and on a relatively empty stomach (no heavy foods 2 hours prior to taking class)
● Try to avoid perfumes of any kinds, feel free to always use our showers if you need ● Please shut cell phones off, or leave in your car
● Come with an open mind, heart and body